[Fixed] All female players terminated at 2019/20

sitenoise 334
+1
2020-07-08 • 2514 views • 24 replies

This page for female players is empty: Where they will play in season 2020/21 ()?  The page for men has hundreds of players. 

These pages display players with connections where ending season is empty (e.g. "2019/20 - Still"). 

I can't speak to the entire world of female players, but can say with absolute certainty that most, if not all, of the active-in-2019/20 Japanese female players were set to empty (e.g. "2019/20 - Still") because I set them that way consciously and with purpose when I moved them from 2018-19 to 2019-20 --some of them by editing them manually, some by affirming the dialog box that would popup when clicking on a player that asked "Will she play for 'insert team'  in season 2019/20?" .  Brilliant Aries is a new team for the 2019-20 season and without question when I added the new players to the team they were set to empty (e.g. "2019/20 - Still"). I created and added dozens of (mostly HS and University) players throughout the 2019/20 season and set them to empty (e.g. "2019/20 - Still")

This issue first came to my attention around the beginning of March, right around the time the site switched from 2019/20 to 2020/21. I noticed it because at that time I was "retiring" some active-in-2019/20 players and noticed that upon confirming the retirement dialog it would retire them at 2018/19. I noticed with surprise that some other players were terminated at 2019/20 when I was sure I had set them to empty (e.g. "2019/20 - Still"). I didn't know at the time how widespread it might be.

Many European (and Brazilian) teams have 2020/21 rosters filling, or filled out. Many of those players were moved there via Transfer or a publicized "re-signs with" announcement, which may also alert users to other team players that should be moved forward. There are many European users of the site contributing to that. Not so true for other parts of the world.

I don't know what a workaround for this issue might be but as it stands the hundreds (thousands?) of active female players in the database must all be found and individually edited to move them to 2020/21, an absurdly Herculean chore.

Has anyone seen or used that "Will she play for 'insert team'  in season 2020/21?" dialog this year since the site switched to 2020/21 season?

#Volleyboxnet

Volleybox 440
3 years ago

Few details regarding this issue:

• IDs of users who edited player-team connections are stored in db (exact edit dates are stored also). These IDs are empty for Brilliant Aries's players I checked (e.g. Rina Sasaki, Mayu Mizutani). It means that no one changed these relations after you added them.
  • I don't see any "trace of the crime" that end dates have been massively set by some mechanism.
  • I can set empty season for some group of players (tell me which players it is about).
sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

Can you look at a snapshot of the database before the switch to 2020-21 occurred? 

I can't speak to, or be responsible for, the rest of the world, but it would be easier for me if you set every Japanese female player who was active in 2019 to empty. I assume that would populate the Where they will play in season 2020/21 ()? page?

I could then just re-retire the couple dozen already marked as retired (I know who they are), and zip through confirming those who will play with a team.

Maybe I'm missing some collateral damage that would cause because I'm not a coder.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1
sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox Cool, thanks this is kinda fun now :)

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox  hmm ... Not sure if this is illuminating, or if I just missed something, but I went to Yuki Nakano's profile (because I was working through Breath Hamamatsu and noticed she wasn't there with them. That's because she was still current (terminated at 2019, but that's okay and true) with NSSU. Her profile page had the "Will she still play with NSSU" dialog. I clicked "No", then "Found a new Club", and put in Breath Hamamatsu and a confirming link.

She showed up on the Transfers page, but isn't in the 2020-21 current roster of the Breath Hamamatsu. She's terminated at 2019-20. I'm going to leave it that way in case it helps uncover a "trace of the crime" :) (love that phrase)

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

Maybe Yuki Nakano is collateral damage to this re-animation experiment. I don't have a vivid memory of doing it but I'm pretty good at adding College players to a Pro club when it happens. Yuki signed with Breath on April 15, 2020. I added her to Breath in my own database --and put a checkmark by her name, which is supposed to tell me that I added her to volleybox as well. Yes, I'm that anal.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

Update
Akane Shimizu. Was on the "Will they play" list. I do remember signing her to Himeji Victorina. I went to her profile and she had Himeji 2019/20 - 2019/20 as a club, but also had the "Will she play at Aichi Gakuin University in 2020-21"? so I clicked No, then "Found a new Club" and put in Himeji Credentials. Info saved

She still has Himeji as just 2019/20 - 2019/20. I think this is what happened to Yuki Nakano as well. 

This seems like collateral damage and I can deal with it (50-80 players, likely) -- ... but it is odd that confirming her to 2021 via the "Will she play" dialog doesn't stick

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

In case you want to see this ... Fuuka Shiraishi was already transferred to Brilliant Aries, is on the "Will they play" list with "Nagano Nichidai , and the "Will she play with Nagano" is on her profile page, along with being listed at Brilliant Aries 2019-2019.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

Can you do the same unlock of all terminated Chinese players? Set all active 19/20 players to empty?

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox not sure if you saw my request to empty all the Female Chinese players

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise  So far, I have used the information from the site http://cva-web.dataproject.com/CompetitionHome.aspx?ID=37  I believe it is better not to reset the database. Better to have data from the previous year than not to have any. You should wait. Patience is a good quality. 

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+2

@CHN_HRQ_FAN It doesn't remove anything. Setting the players to “empty” changes them from being terminated at “2019-20” to “still” but won't directly add them to 2020-21 yet. That way you can go here: https://women.volleybox.net/players/current_rosters/CN and run through them quickly (which will also set them to “still” after adding them to 2020-21--and hopefully keep them at “still” so they will be there next season) rather than having to edit each player individually. 

[EDIT] “empty” is just a scary word. Have no fear. All of a player's previous clubs and contributions remain intact. 

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise Thank You so much.  I do not understand the technique of operating the pages of this portal, but I think I understand your intentions and your desire to improve. Thank You.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@CHN_HRQ_FAN  When that site gets 2020-2021 rosters up, let me know. Or if you know another site with rosters that translate easily. The rosters I saw for the National Championship were pictures, so I couldn't translate them. 

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago

@sitenoise Well. Thank you.

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise Please see the rules of the league competition in China in the 2020/21 season http://www.volleychina.org/2020-10-13/doc-iiznezxr5759202.shtml  

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@CHN_HRQ_FAN  Hmm … That looks like it announces the schedule, but it's pictures. Can't translate it. Does it say the league starts Nov 11 and ends Dec 19? That's a short season. I don't see any rosters info.
From other infos I'm seeing it looks like Bayi has indeed closed shop.

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago

@sitenoise  Yes. This is the regulation on the closed system in Jiangmen from November 8, 2020 to December 19, 2020. featuring clubs Tianjin, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangdong, Jiangsu, Liaoning, Shandong, Zhejiang, Sichuan, Yunnan, Fujian, Henan and Hebei. Total 13 clubs. During the registration process, the clubs have until October 30 to provide 12-14 names of players and 6-8 coaches and activists. Together up to 20 people.At the end of the regulation, there are links to .pdf files

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+1

@CHN_HRQ_FAN How it is possible to have a volleyball season which lasts only one month and a half ? How can players be satisfied with that ? I will never understand the volleyball in Asia.

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock I can only express my hope that it will be right from next season.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+2

@Sherlock It's a COVID thing, more like a tournament than a league, and it's in a bubble as far as I understand things. I think they are aiming for something they believe they can accomplish.

3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock don't drag Asia into this. Only China is doing it.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox nevermind

Temporarily disabled
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking